Skip to main content

Buddha's Hand Citron Cupcakes

This cupcake is hiding a hidden flavor!

Last Monday, my son and I ventured to the grocery store in search of fruit that was new to us.  This is something that his teacher suggested as a part of Thanksgiving.  Five bucks later, we came away with one that I even I hadn't seen before.

The Buddha's Hand Citron.  A yellow citrus fruit that doesn't grow as a sphere but as a bunch of finger-like tentacles.  These fruits can either have their fingers closed as if they are praying or splayed open.  

We had to figure out what to do with it once we got it home and soon discovered that it has uses as a flavoring in salads and desserts.  When we cut into it, we also learned that it had the most amazing lemony fragrance.   

I have been challenging myself to find uses for it, because a fruit this beautiful (and pricey!) should not go to waste. 

Today's challenge was to see how they worked in a cupcake recipe.  




RECIPE: Buddha's Hand Citron Cupcakes

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 oz lemon extract
4 eggs 
1/2 cup Buddha's Hand Citron, blanched and diced.  

  • Cream butter and sugar together.  
  • Add eggs one at a time, making certain to beat until smooth. 
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.  
  • Combine flour with eggs, sugar and butter. 
  • Fold in lemon extract as well as the diced Buddha's Hand Citron. 
  • Divide batter into 12 cupcakes. 
 Bake in a 300 degree oven for 40 minutes. 

Note that this makes a stiffer batter so that the fruit does not fall to the bottom.  It makes a flavorful but not overly sweet cupcake.  

My son and I decorated them with white frosting, pomegranate seeds and a candied piece of Buddha's Hand.  The pomegranate seeds worked well with the lemon flavoring.  

The next challenge will be to see how the cupcake works as a muffin with a citrus glaze. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Post: In which I try to figure out how to deal with having no voice

The whole thing started in May with a bad cold and laryngitis that never seemed to get any better.  But that wasn't overly concerning because I'm a school librarian and use my voice all day.  Surely it will get better with vocal rest over during the first few weeks of summer. All through the summer, I attempted to get improve the hoarseness through a regimen of allergy medication and nose spray, as suggested by my doctor. By the fall and with the return of school, I knew that something more was up.   But there was always something else to take care of and I delayed in asking for another appointment. It was November before I finally made my way to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor.  She looked down my throat with both of her scopes and then pronounced that I would need surgery.  She wasn't sure what was going on, but there was clearly something pushing up my on my false vocal fold that kept her from being able to see my true vocal chord on the right hand side.   They woul

Buddha's Hand Citron : Distracting myself with rare fruit

My son's fourth grade teacher sent him on a mission... to the local produce section.  She had explained to the class that grocery stores will often stock up on different and interesting fruit during the days before Thanksgiving and that the best day to shop would definitely be Monday.   So, in spite of the fact that I really don't have much of a voice, we just had to get going!  This is what we took home with us.  Yellow tentacles reaching in all different directions, small and bumpy.  But with a really pleasing lemony smell.  It looked innocent enough. This was my introduction to the Buddha's Hand, a special kind of citrus fruit that is valued not only for its appearance but also for its sweet and flavorful rind.   Of course we didn't bother to Google what we could do with it until we actually had it home and were busy observing it on the counter.   We learned that our Buddha's Hand version was considered to be the open type, with fingers splayed in

10-Minute Everyday Cloth Napkins : I distract myself by making cloth napkins for dinner

I am not trying to sound posh when I say that my family and I use cloth napkins for our everyday meals.  Personally, I was raised to pull a few pieces off of the paper towel roll, fold them in half and call it good.  But now that we've gotten into this habit of using cloth napkins nightly, I don't think that we are going to go back.  It definitely elevates family dinner just a bit. Everyday dinner napkins. Admittedly, it adds to the laundry pile at the end of the day and we have worn out several sets of napkins by this time. Which means that I get the chance to make more.  Especially when I have some remnant fabric lying around. Everyday cloth napkins are really easy to make, especially if you don't plan on stressing too much about the hems and the corners.  Here is a step-step guide for how to make my "No Stress" Everyday Cloth Napkins. This method allows you to keep sewing as you turn the corners of your fabric, making this one of the quickest met